Alexandria Country Day School is committed to enrolling a socio-economically diverse student body and makes every effort to see that all talented and motivated students have the opportunity to receive an ACDS education. We offer three different tuition payment plans to all families, and currently provide $700,000 in need-based financial aid to 29% of our families.
Tuition Payment Plans
- Annual Payment: Payment in full is due on or before July 1.
- Trimester Plan: Three payments due June, September and January.
- Monthly Payments: Ten equal payments beginning in June.
2018-2019 Tuition and Fees
Tuition K – 3: $29,350
Tuition 4 – 8: $31,700
Association of Parents (AP) Dues: $100
Optional Additional Fees
- Hot Lunch, Pizza Fridays only, or Milk only plans
- A.M. Care from 7:00 – 8:00 am
- P.M. Care from 3:00 – 6:00 pm
- Bus transportation, both round-trip and one-way
Please contact Robert Powers, Business Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, for current costs for Lunch Plans, A.M. and P.M. Care and Bus Transportation.
Applying for Financial Aid
The financial aid program at ACDS is guided by our belief that parents have an obligation to pay the educational expenses of their children. The purpose of the financial aid program is to fill the gap between the actual cost of a year’s tuition and what a family can realistically be expected to pay toward this cost. For the 2018-19 school year, 29% of ACDS families received financial assistance.
Please read our complete Financial Aid Policy.
Financial aid grants are awarded on the basis of demonstrated financial need. Demonstrated need has no bearing on the admissions process. The Financial Aid Committee determines the amount of the grant giving consideration to the following:
- the recommendation of Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST) based on the information provided on the FAST application and on tax documents;
- the availability of funds within budgetary restrictions;
- the number of applicants for financial aid;
- adherence to designated deadlines.
Should I Apply for Financial Aid?
We realize that an independent school education at ACDS, while an excellent investment in your child’s future, represents an expense that could be quite substantial to some families. We encourage families to complete the financial aid process if they feel that the full cost is more than they can afford.
In accordance with our Financial Aid Policy, parents who are divorced, separated or have never been married are both required to complete and submit the FAST Financial Aid Application. Financial aid grants are awarded on a one-year basis. Families who have received financial aid in the past must reapply each year. Due to the complexity of the financial aid formula, we are unable to provide analysis without a full application; however, we encourage all families who believe that they may be eligible to apply.
How Need is Determined
ACDS uses Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST) to process our financial aid applications. Parents requesting financial aid are required to complete FAST application. Aid awards are based on the standardized calculations derived by the Independent School Management (ISM) using data from the application. The methodology used to determine the parental contribution considers many items including assets, liabilities, age of parents, family size and the number of students in tuition-charging schools. As the Financial Aid Committee looks at financial aid applications, it differentiates between necessary expenses and money spent for lifestyle choices. With respect to the latter, beyond a certain point, we will not provide aid to offset “lifestyle” expenditures that could have been directed to education. Thus the parental contribution calculated by the School might differ from the FAST calculation.
Any financial support that may be available beyond the parents’ own income and assets should be disclosed on the request for financial assistance for consideration by the Financial Aid Committee. These include resources that might be expected from grandparents or other relatives, direct scholarships, and any other external support. Our need-based process is designed to affirm what a family can pay with or without outside help.
For Applicants applying for Admission to ACDS
- Please complete the ACDS FAST Financial Aid Application by February 15, 2019.
- Submit your IRS Form 1040, W-2’s, and state taxes: Upload a digital copy or mail a signed copy of your 2018 IRS Form 1040 with all schedules, state taxes and your W-2’s to FAST by February 28th. FAST scans in the tax information to the FAST application. Financial aid decisions will be made once the financial aid file is complete.
FAST Processing ISM 1316 North Union Street Wilmington, DE 19806-2594
- Submit signed IRS Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return form) to the Financial Aid Committee to: Alexandria Country Day School 2400 Russell Road Alexandria, VA 22202
The Committee uses the FAST application as a guide to determine the financial need of families. The W-2 and IRS Form 1040 with all schedules provide additional information so we can make the most equitable decision based on financial need as well as availability of funds. The Committee may request additional information if needed.
Newly accepted families will be notified of the Committee’s decision on the same day as the admission decision provided that the FAST application and all required supporting tax documents have been submitted by February 28th.
For Current ACDS Families
Information will be emailed to families currently receiving financial aid on December 1, 2018. All families are required to submit a signed IRS Form 4506-T (Request for Transcript of Tax Return form) to the Financial Aid Committee to: Alexandria Country Day School 2400 Russell Road Alexandria, VA 22202
If you are not currently receiving financial aid, but want to apply for the 2018-2019 school year, please call the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.
- The FAST application should be submitted by February 15, 2019. In order to finalize financial aid awards, which are granted by or before April 1st, parents must provide a copy of their 2018 Federal tax return and all supporting schedules and state taxes by February 28, 2019. For faster processing, upload a digital copy of Federal tax return including all schedules, state taxes and W-2s at the FAST website or mail a hard copy to: FAST Processing ISM 1316 North Union Street Wilmington, DE 19806-2594
If you have any questions concerning financial aid, tuition, or payment plans, please do not hesitate to contact Liz Hendrickson or Robert Powers at 703-548-4804.